Friday, March 20, 2009

Road nanoWarrior


I welcome your suggestions and opinions on the role that technology could, and should—or should not—play in your relationship with the Garden House, which, I imagine, is a relationship with your desire for a space to consider, or reconsider, a different way of being in the world, if only for a short while. The Garden House has wi-fi but no phone (virtually everyone has a mobile anyway) and no flat screen (many guests bring laptops and their netflix favorites). The original intention of the "no tv" concept was to assist in the transformation from routine to opportunity. If the Garden House were like every other place to stay, you might not notice where you are, as there would be no built-in incentive to consider your routines. In some ways I'm trying to sweep back the tide, as technology comes in the door anyway. Now I'm wondering if I should employ the adage "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" by moving more toward technology offerings, at least outside the Garden House threshold. To this end, I created the mobile-friendly "doebay.mobi" to help travelers find their way here. What do you think? What would you add (delete, change)? On a broader social networking front, how might the Garden House be of use to you (if at all) were I to set up a Twitter account? Get more active on Facebook? Something else? Nothing else? Less is more? It's the first day of spring. Fresh air and ideas blow steadily across the water.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Joe! Half of that stuff I didn't even really understand! I'm just venturing into the Twitter/Facebook world. As for the TV (I DO know what THAT is!), the Garden House doesn't need one. We did bring our laptop and watch a movie on it, but it was really nice being "forced" to go without the constant drone of the tube, or having to pry the remote from my husband's hand as he mindlessly surfs....even when he knows there's nothing on. The Garden House is an escape from the everyday, a place where time stops and the most pressing matter is which direction to head out for a walk, or whether to go out to eat - or not! I look forward to our next visit....
    Heather

    ReplyDelete